An entire website dedicated to the wonderful degree symbol. Easy copy & paste tools.
How to Type Degree Symbol on Keyboard
To enter the degree symbol on keyboard in Windows or macOS, use these keystrokes:
(Make sure NumLock is on. The second code requires the first 0, since Alt+176 on keyboard leads to the “░” character)
To enter the degree symbol on a Mac keyboard, use this shortcut:
⌥ Opt+⇧ Shift+8
To enter the degree sign in Word, you can either:
- use the Windows or Mac shortcut above, depending on which OS you’re using
- or go to Insert → Symbol, then in the bottom right, for Character Code, enter “00B0”.
To enter the degree symbol on the iPhone keyboard, press and hold 0, then drag finger to the degree symbol.
Degree Symbol Characters
Are you a software developer? Use these HTML special characters:
HTML Degree Symbol:
Unicode Degree Symbol:
Similar Characters to Degree Symbol ºᵒ˚◌̊◌̥゜⁰₀∘⦵
There are a lot of variants of characters that look like the degree sign ° but actually have entirely different purposes. Learn about them here!
Degree Celsius Symbol ℃
Degree Fahrenheit Symbol ℉
Masculine Ordinal Indicator º
Superscript Letter O ᵒ
Ring Above ˚
Combining Ring Above ◌̊
Combining Ring Below ◌̥
Katakana-Hiragana Semi-Voiced Sound Mark ゜
Superscript Zero ⁰
Subscript Zero ₀
Ring Operator ∘
Circle with Horizontal Bar ⦵
Uses of the Degree Symbol
The magnificent degree symbol has a variety of uses:
Degrees of angular arc:
- In coordinate geometry, as in a 30° angle, or a 30°-60°-90° triangle
- In latitude and longitude, as in 48° 51′ 29” N, 2° 17′ 40′ E (the Eiffel tower)
Degrees of temperature:
- The ° symbol is used for both Celsius and Fahrenheit, as in 0°C and 32°F being the freezing point.
- The degree symbol is not used for Kelvin, as in the triple point of water being at 273.16 K
Other fun uses of the ° degree symbol:
- To represent alcohol proof, as in 80° (proof) whiskey
- To represent hours in the medical field, as in 2°30’25” meaning 2 hours, 30 minutes, and 25 seconds